Friday, March 12, 2010

Strasbourg: The Council of Europe Series 2

I just came to thinking that for more than two months in Strasbourg I have not taken a single photograph of the city, nor have I had the chance to really stroll about it unconstrained by severe weather conditions such as snow, rain, fog, cold, wind or all of the above at practically the same time. It is a shame, because although the city does not have a lot to offer in terms of social life, it is still a place where I think I can live and actually live well. And then, as I am about to end my French experience in a few weeks from now, here are some more general observations about Strasbourg and its people:
1. I happen to live in the ugliest neighbourhood of the city, which one can easily recognise by the agglomeration of blocks of flats, rectangular buildings in beige and similar pastel colours, and few to none green areas (not counting the Parc de la Citadelle which I am very lucky to be able to see from the window). This neighbourhood would look disturbingly much after the sad neighbourhoods of panel blocks built during Communist times if it were not for the cleanliness, the clearly marked parking places and the working elevators in the buildings in which having a working light bulb in the staircase is actually considered normal and not a luxury.
2. To me, Strasbourg is as French as I am Greek. It goes without saying that you can hardly find anything not written in French or anyone who would not look down on you for the fact that you don't speak French, but in terms of life order, people's appearances and even food, I'd rather think that I'm living in a German community.
3. Please disregard all I said above, because I just thought of something which makes Strasbourg French enough to deserve its geographical location- cleanliness. Never had I seen people with hair that greasy, supermarkets that stinky and personal hygiene habits so unavailable as here. Just a simple example: nobody but me seemed to find strange this child I saw the other day writing his homework sitting comfortably on the pavement in front of the school with all his books scattered and around and a croissant left on the ground next to it. Nobody seems to care about washing their hands after using the lavatory. Nobody seems to notice that beer glasses in the pubs are not being properly washed. Nobody seems to notice that public lavatories stink of piss.
4. Apparently my frequent visits to the supermarkets have led to a lot of conclusions about people here- Yes, I like standing in line looking at what they buy and how much they pay for it. This is how I very subjectively judge about their lifestyle and income. My general conclusion is that people do not seem to eat very healthy here (and after all, who eats healthy these days?). All I see on the cash lines in the supermarkets is white bread, frozen, canned, half-made or ready-made meals (not OK, even if branded by WeightWatchers- I actually prefer to watch myweight myself and not have anyone watch it for me but oh, who cares). All I have been given in the canteens is heavy sauces, hard meat, smelly fish and overcooked pasta. All I care to order in restaurants is a tarte flambee because it is about the only one local speciality I can eat. French people, your sweets are lovely, but aren't you neglecting the salty part somehow?
5. I just found out that every statement I make here contradicts the previous ones. Look at my colleague with whom I'm sharing the office- here daily routine is impeccable- two apples, or two oranges, at 4p.m., every day. This must be a French thing as she is not the only on doing it- the sound of biting apples in the early afternoon hours is starting to conquer my floor.
6. It is actually OK to burp in public here and not be considered impolite or disgusting. Way to go!
7. People who are originally from Strasbourg are deeply convinced that Strasbourg is the best place in the world to live in. I wonder if they're right.

Photographs illustrating my experience will follow whenever we get positive air temperatures ad some sun here.

No comments: